Monday, September 8, 2008

Fruits (and vegetables) of Labor

As most of you know, my Mommy is a wonderful, loving Mommy, but she is NO martha Stewart!! However, she decided that she was going to home-make all of my baby food. So, last Thursday our friend Kiana and her baby came over and we made green beans and carrots (and we tried peas that didn't work....we need them out of the shell!).

Unfortunately we don't have any pictures of what the kitchen looked like during this event! There were two adults, two babies, a high chair, a walker, three boiling pans, a blender, a food mill, 20 ice cube trays, and various utensils all piled into our kitchen! Plus, neither Mommy nor Kiana knew exactly what they were doing! It was a fun, messy time. And the best part is, I am now among the crowds who eat solid food (well, semi-solid anyway!)

Look, here is me enjoying my first green beans! I am a natural!!!!



Now Mommy is a food-makin' machine. She has stockpiled green beans, carrots, peas, peaches, sweet potatos, and yams. Next in line are squash and pears. Even though so far I have only tried the green beans and peas, she is freezing a lot now that the produce is in season. The best part is that eating all this yummy food helps me sleep better too! I can't wait to go to the doctor next week for my 6 month check up and see how much I weigh!

Other updates you might want to know about me....I rolled over for the first time from back to front on Friday, September 5th!!! I only did it one time though. I still need to work on it some more. Another cool thing I do is lay on my back and scooch myself around by lifting up my body and having only my head and feet on the ground. (For those of you who know yoga, picture the bridge pose.) Then I push my feet really hard until my body moves. Mommy is afraid I am going to hurt my neck!

My front upper tooth is still about the same, you can see it but it doesn't poke out all the way yet. I am also working on either a muller or a bicuspid on the top left. Go figure.

Mommy says my two nicknames this month are "squirmy" and "grabby". My hands are always on the go, and I like to pull anything that I can get into my reach--hair, food and drinks, placemats, computer cords!! Then it goes directly into my mouth. I can move toys from hand to hand and hand to mouth. I am also working on sitting up. I have great neck and back strength and I can sit for a few seconds. Then, just when the adult lets their guard down I tip over!!

I have recently gotten some stranger anxiety which is not a fun thing for people who want to hold me or for Mommy and Daddy who need a break sometimes. Mommy tried leaving me in the child care room at Jazzercise for her hour work out....I lasted 5 minutes before she had to come and get me. What can I say, I love my parents!

As you might notice there are no pictures from our second Duck's game last weekend. The reason is that I did not feel like watching the game. The noise scared me and I let M&D that I would much rather play in the park on such a nice day then be stuck in a stadium of noisy fans. So, Mommy took me outside and she walked me around in our new wrap. It was only Utah State, it wasn't that great of a game anyway...sorry M&D. Wonder what this means for the rest of the season??

Some family updates: Mommy officially resigned her job at Head Start to stay home and take care of me full time. She was sad to leave her work and her co-workers, but she feels like it was the best decision. She says she works harder now than she did before....I wonder what that means! Big news for Daddy was that he was accepted into a Master of Business Administration program starting this fall!! Congratulations Daddy!!

4 comments:

Robyn Boose said...

Maddie-

You are even cuter with gooey green beans all over your face! Can't wait to see you soon! We have a brand new present at our house for you to play with (your Daddy will really like it!).

Robyn and Jackson

Kelly said...

20 ice cube trays!!! I'm sensing I'm unprepared for food making preparations. Maddie is cute as ever with green mush on her face. :)

Kristy said...

wowzers making your own food sounds fun & messy!
lovin' the green bean slobber face maddie! ;)

Unknown said...

Looks like everyone agrees that green beans become you, Maddie darling. How one little baby girl can look so beautiful with green mush on her face is amazing. You should be doing baby food ads!

And, what a busy little girl you have been. You and mommy sure get around and I'm glad daddy gets to join you for fun times too. Your mommy & daddy are the best and some day you'll really understand that.

I'm so happy that mommy will be able to stay at home with you. I remember only too well what it was like to have to go to work and miss out on what my little ones were learning and doing without my being able to be with them all the time.

I am so proud of your daddy too. What an honor to be accepted to this program! I know he will do great and do all of us proud.

You have two very wonderful parents that love you beyond words and lots of other relatives (like me!) that feel the same.

Can't wait to see you again sweetheart. Until then, remember we love you all as big as the sky!!!

Gma Jan & Gpa Ray