Monday, September 29, 2008

What a Wonderful Waterfall Weekend!

This post is going to focus more on the weekend rather than the week since it was sleepless and somewhat miserable at times. Cutting teeth is hard work for the entire family!!! Mommy and Daddy did everything they could think of to help soothe me--Tylenol, teething gel and tablets, wet washcloth, teething toys, lost of TLC and rocking. Mommy was so worried about the incessant crying and lack of sleep that she even took me to the doctor. Nope, nothing wrong. Daddy did his part by sleeping holding me in the rocking chair one night just so we could all catch some much needed zzz's.


We did however finally got a picture of my two teeth!


There were a couple of positive things that happened this week. Mommy got to play bridge on Tuesday with Grandpa Randy, so that means we all got to have dinner first. I sat on the table and chewed Grandpa's napkin while the adults talked! Then on Wednesday was Grammy's birthday. Happy Birthday Grammy!! Did you enjoy the phone call and out of tune Happy Birthday song? One other neat thing that happened this weekend is that Daddy went to a "Wine and Cheese" event at Marylhurst to meet some of his classmates and professors.

Look here is a picture of him in his business suit and me in my ducky outfit!
Aren't we a cute pair?!?


So, fastforward now to the weekend. On Friday, our good friend Megan and her boyfriend Phill came to visit us from Sacramento. They brought me a fun, alphabet Leap Frog toy that makes noise. Mommy said it was ok because it has an "off" switch!
The unplanned theme for the weekend was waterfalls! We took a drive out the gorge and went to Multnomah Falls, Horsetail Falls, and one other falls that we can't remember the name.
Mommy, Daddy and me feeling the spray of the falls!


Daddy got creative and played around with some of the settings on our new camera! (He even got so excited about one picture that he fell into a pool of water with his new tennis shoes on!)

Mommy, "More Megan" and me!

The other theme of our weekend was food! We took a stroll through memory lane to all the places Mommy and Megan used to eat when they lived together in grad school, including Papaya Thai, Gino's to celebrate Grammy's birthday, and of course Dairy Queen for Blizzards! We also tried a place that was new to everyone: Voodoo Doughnuts!!! They have all kinds of crazy doughnut flavors--topped with cereal, peanut butter, even bacon!

Unfortunately we had to say goodbye to Megan and Phill on Sunday morning. Thanks for coming guys--we had a great time!!

Then Mommy and Daddy were so overstuffed from the food (and did I mention the wine?) that they decided to ease their guilt and go for a hike. So, we went as a family to Silver Falls. We did a 5.1 mile hike and saw 6 different waterfalls!

I started off excited....

But as the hike wore on I got tired....

Mommy held me almost all of the way in the front pack even though it is not always easy to carry me. I don't exactly hold still anymore! Some of the time I was eating my toes, and at one point I grabbed Daddy's hand and we held hands for quite a ways. This caused both him and Mommy to have to walk cockeyed, but it was so cute that they did it for me!

I do have to say, though,we are an adventurous family....most of the other hikers just did the easy, shorter loop, but we were in it for the long haul! We even walked behind the "lower south falls" where there is no guard rail and you can look down over the falls! Mommy was nervous and asked Daddy if our life insurance policy is all paid up! We give Silver Falls a two-thumbs up, A+ rating. We cannot wait to go back there again, maybe even when it is hot next summer so we can go swimming in the pools.

Hope everyone has a good week! Please cross your fingers that I get used to my new teeth and feel like sleeping this week!! Now that Daddy is officially a graduate student and Mommy is doing contract work, we need to be well rested!

Love,

Maddie

5 comments:

Sarah said...

We loved our Moby over here. how are you liking it? And voodoo donuts - - now that is a fun place. Brennan had a horrible time teething too and the only thing that seemed to work is Motrin - it works differently than Tylenol somehow.

Kelly said...

So mobile in the Moby! Lookin' good!

Grandpa said...

Hi Maddie,

What a wonderful week you had visiting waterfalls and of course dinner with your mom and dad on bridge night with me. I know the teeth business is rough and hard on mommy and daddy so I am sorry about that. It does remind me my grandpa, Grandpa Edgar, who always teased me and my sisters with the song "All I want for Christmas
is my two front teeth,
my two front teeth,
see my two front teeth!" I guess I know what you will be getting for Christmas :) Looking forward to seeing you in a couple of days for our beach week end with our familes. Bring you warm clothes as it looks like we are going to see stormy weather.

Love, Grandpa Randy

Unknown said...

Thanks again for a wonderful weekend! Phill and I had such a wonderful time. Maddie is the cutest darn thing ever! Cant wait to see you again next month!!!

-Megs

Unknown said...

What a busy girl you are Maddie, darlin' ! You won't ever have to worry about grass growing under your feet!

It is so nice that mommy and daddy are already introducing you to so many different places and experiences. You may not remember these, but as you get a little older, you will and you will cherish them and be so glad that God blessed you with two such wonderful parents who were there for you and involved in your life from the get-go.

I haven't been to Silver Falls since I was pregnant with your Aunt Shannon over 40 years ago! Since I was already past due, I wasn't up to walking around the falls, but I do remember how beautiful the park is.

I'm so sorry you are having such a rough time getting those "toofies" in. Poor baby.....hope it gets better soon for everyones' sake!!!

We love you Maddie and can't wait to see you again. Hope it will be soon!!!

Gma Jan & Gpa Ray